23.11.04

Nine Against Ninety-One. I like those odds.

The other day, my friend Lisa's birthday party turned into what most social gatherings turn out to be when they involve my best friend Brian: A Brian-bashing party.

You see it started out in college. When Brian first transferred in from George Mason, he immediately became a punching bag for all of my friends in computer science. They would razz him for his clumsiness, they would laugh at his goofiness, but most of all they would put him down for his lack of abilities.

For some, learning the material computer science came easy, maybe natural even. I for one didn’t fit into that category. However, some of these "friends" of ours would probably fit this description. They would constantly put him down for his lack of computer knowledge.

But what Brian lacked in computer knowledge, he more than made up for in drive and determination. This is what I saw when I recommended to OPNET that he be considered for a job. Some of these same friends questioned me for doing so, but I saw that drive in Brian and now he has proved me right.

I don't know how he took it back then. But, I bet it's the same way he takes it now, when he's being bashed for a completely different reason. Brian is a Republican. Well, for a long time he didn't like being called a Republican -- he'd rather be called someone with conservative views -- but I guess that's changed now.

Being a Republican, in his case, can be forgiven because he's got a good heart. However, Brian lives with me, you see, in one of the most Democratic cities in the nation: Washington, DC. 90% of DC voted for the Democrat, John Kerry, in this past election, while a mere 9% voted for Emperor George Bush. You could say that Republicans are well out-numbered.

Living in DC means, unless you live under a rock, politics enters your life. Whether you were or you weren't political before you got here, you certainly will be soon enough. And that leads to talking about politics in social situations.

And that, in turn, leads to the aforementioned Brian bashing. I admit I participate, and get very heated while participating, yet he still comes back. He still considers me a friend, despite the sometimes brutal bashings I give him.

He was only awarded solace, when another friend at the party said that he thought that bicyclist belong on the sidewalk. This person was immediately assaulted by all the cyclists in the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home