6.2.05

Black Cat Black Listed

The other night a co-worker of mine was going to the Black Cat. During the day he invited many of us to go and I accepted. I actually had not been to the Black Cat in the five and half years I've been in the DC area.

The afternoon continued and it approached quittin' time and we started talking about logistics, etc. At some point, the co-worker threw in an anecdote that started a spiral of conversation.

He mentioned that he believed that the Black Cat was part owned by one of the Foo Fighters. I had once heard this before as well. However, another co-worker overheard this bit and let out a sigh and said, "That's too bad."

I turned around and asked why. It turns out that the Foo Fighters are big advocates for an organization called Alive & Well. Alive & Well is an organization that denies the link between HIV and AIDS. They even go so far as to say that AIDS is not a new disease (i.e. has been around since before the eighties.)

As you may know, I'm a very involved philanthopist for AIDS/HIV services. I am COB and President of Hero of the Day, a community-based non-profit organization serving the Washington D.C. metropolitan region to raise funds for HIV/AIDS services.

Needless to say, I decided not to go into the Black Cat. Hopefully, I can count on you to never go to the Black Cat as well.

3 Comments:

At 3:35 PM , Blogger Megan Case said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger Anand Trivedi said...

Ooops... Megan's comment here:

Um, as someone who beleives strongly in boycotts to achieve social goals, I have to say that it sounds like the connection between Alive and Well and Black Cat is pretty tenuous. It's a block away from Whitman-Walker -- don't you think they would have organized a boycott?

I've heard these theories before about HIV not being the cause of AIDS, and I think the people who support those theories are stupid, but not malicious.

But if you're not going to go to Black Cat because of this, I suggest you write the management and explain why, if you want to have any effect. Otherwise you're just avoiding one of DC's best clubs for no real reason.

 
At 9:47 AM , Blogger Anand Trivedi said...

I think I just might write that letter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home