18.12.04

Life and Art... I'm a little slow

You ever notice...

Well apparently, I don't until someone points it out for me.

It was a sunny Friday afternoon in Mt Pleasant. The air was brisk. I turned up the collar on my leather jacket to the gust of wind. Shifting the jar of Arrowhead Mills Peanut Butter from my left to my right hand, I saw it.

Green and covered in filth, a garbage truck. Now you're thinking, "What's so unusual about a garbage truck?"

It wasn't the truck itself, but rather where the truck was. It was going the wrong way down a one way street. This alone was not enough to really be unusual. It was traveling at about two miles an hour and there was an awful mess of a commotion in the cab.

It took awhile for my view to clear, but soon I became aware of what exactly was going on. Once I did, I nearly choked as I began to laugh.

You see, hidden from my initial observation was a young lady. This young lady was minding her business carrying what looked to be groceries. She was most likely on her way home.

Back in the cab, the collector in the passenger seat was what appeared to be hitting on the woman. Yes a guy in orange coveralls, covered in filth, smelling like, well, trash, is exactly the kind of man this woman must be looking for. She was going to drop her groceries and run into his arms and yell, "Yes. Take me baby! Take me with you to the processing center!"

For me, the humor of this situation is enhanced when you factor in my recent encounter with the stand-up routine of one David Cross. On his live recorded show from Atlanta Shut Up You Fucking Baby, Cross described this exact scene.

It was funny when I heard it because I could imagine the scene. I've seem, heard, and heard of many such situations. Though usually not involving a garbage truck, these situations are very common in Mt. Pleasant.

However, it was even funnier when I could witness an exact observance that a comic described.

I still can picture the scene and can't help but giggle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home