8.10.05

Disaster Follows

A quick post about the earthquake this morning near Islamabad. I just called home to get my mom to call our relatives. I have a cousin sister that lives relatively close to Pakistan and, as the earthquake was felt as far away as Delhi, I thought it'd be a good idea to check in on her. We don't expect bad news since she lives further south, but it's probably a good idea to check.

It seems that natural disaster has been striking just after I leave during my trip. Mostly monsoon rains hit towns a day or two after we leave. The monsoon season usually wraps up toward the end of September and sometimes (rarely) into October. This seems to be one of those years. The monsoon usually starting in the south and working its way north, will end in the same way.

The day after we left Porbandar, there were monsoon rains, winds, and even reports of a tornado touching down there. Days after we left Goa, a huge storm hit northern Goa and Gujarat. In Ahmedabad, my relatives said that 11 inches of rain fell in less than 10 hours. And now this earthquake has happened.

It is going to be interesting to see the reaction on both sides of the border since the area largely effected is Kashmir. The Kashmir region is the major reason for the sixty year conflict between India and Pakistan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home