4.3.05

Stupid Is As Stupid Does...

... or hangs out with.

All modesty aside, I consider myself a smart person. However, over time I've noticed that I've begun to feel stupider. I think now I am understanding where this comes from.

Neglecting the loss of brain cells from drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, I believe my feelings of inferiour mental capacity has to do with the once ever increase in average intelligence of my surroundings. It seems that I gravitate towards intelligence.

First, in high school I hung out with the honor roll and advanced placement geeks (I was one of them). In college, most of my friends were engineers (gee, didn't I go to an engineering school). And, most recently, I've found a company filled with an infinite supply of brain cells. The employee base is filled with brilliant minds from MIT, Harvard, Stanford and the like. And lastly, my last two girlfriends are, at the very least borderline, geniuses -- I guess I sort of have an intelligence fetish.

All of this tends to make my humble slightly above average level of intelligence seem inadequate.
And yet, in analyzing this behaviour of mine, I've realized, perhaps the reason I feel so bored lately is because I am no longer in an environment filled with this excessive brainpower I seem to crave. Don't get me wrong my immediate surroundings has its share of intelligence.

However, shall I say, in general the business of government contract is not exactly a hotspot for autistic savants. I mean, if there were intelligence in the blowing up of school buses business, then they would realize that perhaps we shouldn't blow up school buses.

1 Comments:

At 5:06 PM , Blogger Megan Case said...

How ironic, I've been feeling stupider lately myself. For me it's the opposite, though, I feel stupider when I'm around people who can do things that I can't, like speak several languages fluently. I've started to worry that I have mad cow disease or something, that's how stupid I feel.

-Former Borderline Genius

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home