22.8.05

El mariachi peor del mundo

This weekend I went up to suburban New Jersey to visit my dad on (actually near) his birfday. We went to a Mexican restaurant in Morris Plains (read: ultra-suburb).

We also went to a Mets-Nationals game, but I don't want to talk about that (the Nats lost).

As we walked in to the restaurant, there were two men with guitars tuning up. One was what appeared to be Mexican, but the other was clearly white.

Well when they began to play I think there were dogs in Pennsylvania that were howling. They were so bad it hurt. It's not that either of them couldn't play, well actually I'm still not convinced they could, but rather thy could not play together. They were not holding each others tempo and at times were completely off beat.

Then they tried to sing. Let's not go there...

It was so bad that my dad caught one of the wait-staff wincing in horror.

At one point, while whitey was talking to a table of customers, the other began strumming "Stairway to Heaven", a well known beginner song that any frat-boy in college could easily play.

Then there was the applause. My mom seemed to think they were being polite. I actually disagree. I think there may have been a little of that, but mostly I believe that the clientele actually did not know any better.

Did I mention that this was ultra-suburban New Jersey? Something told me that these people actually did not know any better. Perhaps they actually thought that is how Mexican music sounded and were not aware of the horrid tortures that they were being subdued to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home