17.8.05

Long Gas Lines of the 1970's

In the late 1970's, the United States suffered from a gas crisis. Gas prices were astronomical due to a shortage of supply. Lines for gas would stretch for blocks.

The present skyrocketing prices are due to a spike in demand. China and other countries moving into the world of capitalism are experiencing the gas-guzzling addiction that comes with the economic structure.

Yesterday, I saw a scary recreation of the 1970's scene. The gas station at which I stopped to fill up was suffering from a flow problem and the pumps were doling gas as slow as a snail escaping eminent squashing.

Arriving at what seemed to be the onset of the problem, I was "next" at the particular pump for which I had chosen to wait. After about five minutes of waiting for the stoner kid to fill up the tank of his Eclispe, I started to think he might be high and was just standing there. But then I began to look around, and it seemed that no one was moving. This station had eight pumps and no one had finished pumping their gas.

Upon further examination of the digital readout, I noticed that gas was being pumped at a rate of close to a gallon a minute. Soon, the line for gas was filling up this relatively large service station. Waiting customers were forced to wait out on the busy street and traffic was beginning to get testy.

Finally, I decided that the time it would take to go to the other gas station just a mile away, fill my tank and be on my way would be less than the time to wait for the stoner-dude and fill my own tank at this pace.

This makes me think of another note. During Megan's recent visit, she kept poking at me to buy a Prius. Toyota Prius is a hybrid vehicle that gets more than 47 miles to a gallon. I told her she has FWMH, but not that much. Although as my gas receipt hit $45 for the second time in a row, I may have to consider it. After a little research, I found that Prius's (or Prii) are still made in Toyota city, Japan. This is good, because I would never buy an American built car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home